Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Book Review: The Owl Service by Alan Garner

Book: The Owl Service by Alan Garner
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating:★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆




Here's another instance of BTS (Rap Monster aka. Kim Namjoon more specifically) trying to get their fandom to read. In their latest photo shoot, they had a bus stop sign in the back ground and on that sign was the name of this book (among other many things.) So everyone ran out to read it.

And why would I want to be left out when it came to reading books that the BTS boys want us to read?

When I saw that it was an older book, and YA book, and a fantasy, and short and with very big print.. I was like... why not?

Still, it's taken me more than a month to read it! GAH!!!

Anyway, um. It was pretty much nearly as weird as the last one Joon wanted us to read, but maybe not quite as... maybe.

It's about some kids who discover some weird things going on at the house they are staying at in Wales England. We have the girl and her mom... the boy and his dad.... (and the mom and dad just happen to have recently gotten married so the boy and girl are now step siblings) and we have the housekeeper and her son....and finally the gardener. The three kids discover some weird plates in the attic and then suddenly the girl is compelled to trace the owls on the plates at which point the owls disappear.

And then she sort of ends up with a telekinetic power. Because somehow she has now been connected to otherworldly thing that is contained in the owls. You with me?

And then the housekeeper mom freaks out and says to her son, we are outa here. And the son is sad because he is having connections with the girl by then. And the girl is scared and just wants to forget everything.

Meanwhile they learn that there's a weird connection between the gardener and the housekeeper and something that happened in the past with a cousin. So there's a bit of a mystery going on too.

In the end, it was kinda interesting, but mostly... it was weird and I just didn't get it. Sigh. BTS boys, why do you make me read these books??? And I don't get at all how it connects to their songs and/or videos of late.

But the son of the housekeeper, I really enjoyed his character and he made the experience all worth it.  And I must say that even though I didn't really get what was going on, I kept thinking it would actually make a pretty good and creepy movie. So there's that.

Can't wait to see what Namjoon recommends next! LOL!




5 comments:

  1. I saw you reading this on Goodreads and the title had me curious because of owls and Harry Potter. BUUUUUT, I'm glad you read your review, lol, because I have no desire to read it. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You are a true fan. I was tempted but never read what my soccer boys were reading. Sounds like a strange little book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny: Wait, your soccer boys read? :) I would be totally interested in what they were reading! Not many of these kpop boys read I don't think, except to study English and if they are doing school. Rapmon is a huge anomaly. But we did hear of another one (different group) who made a goal to read 50 books this year. So we are keeping our eye on him to see how he does!

      Delete
  3. I read this one. I pretty much agree with you- it was strange, and I never really figured out what was going on. Characters were good, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeane: I was wondering if anyone else out there had heard of this one! Fun to know that you have read it, even it was weird.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails